In 2009, West Shore Aware established a Scholarship Fund to provide support for education. These have grown to focus on Saugatuck High School graduates as well as Grand Valley State University Students.
Aware has established a $60,000 endowment at Grand Valley State University that will annually and in perpetuity provide funding for two scholarships for GVSU students. GVSU manages and administers these funds.
The GVSU Scholarship Fund provides educational support to qualified GVSU students who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT), or to other students who have demonstrated support for issues important to the well-being of the broader LGBT community. Applications are available on the GVSU LGBT Resource Center website.
Since 2013, West Shore Aware has been awarding scholarships for Saugatuck High School graduates, and in 2019 those scholarships were updated and expanded in consultation with school administrators to ensure they fit the student body’s needs. Grads may apply for the following scholarships:
- 4-year general academic scholarship
- 4-year performing arts scholarship
- 4-year visual arts scholarship
- 2-year vocational studies scholarship
All scholarships are $2,000 per year. Students must graduate with and maintain a 2.5 GPA, and preference is given to first-generation-in-the-family students. Scholarships may be used to pursue higher education at the accredited school of the student’s choice.
The SHS Aware Scholarships are administered by the Saugatuck Scholarship Foundation in partnership with the Allegan County Community Foundation.
Applications for the annual, renewable scholarships are available on the Allegan County Community Foundation website at alleganfoundation.org.
Donations are tax-deductible and always welcome at http://www.westshoreaware.org/donate-now/.
Checks can be made payable to West Shore Aware Scholarship Fund and mailed to:
West Shore Aware Scholarship Fund
PO Box 33
Douglas, MI 49406
In addition, please consider:
- OUTRIGHT GIFT – Cash, long-term appreciated securities, or Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCD) from your IRA.
- MATCHING GIFT – Your employer may match a personal gift to a non-profit corporation. Please check with your company’s human resources office to obtain an appropriate form and enclose it with your gift.
- MEMORIAL GIFT – Cash or assets in memory of a deceased friend or relative.
- DEFERRED GIFT – Include us in your will or trust via bequests, gift annuities, life insurance,
charitable remainder trusts, etc.
- INCREMENTAL GIFT – Gifts made in planned stages over a specific period of time.
Please contact us email@example.com if you have any questions about our scholarships or donations.